Saturday, February 20, 2016

Three Week Sabbatical from Blogging

Yesterday I really pushed and advocated for my discharge. I have to be in Seattle shortly for a transplant, and I am not ready. Because our stay in Seattle will last several months, I have to treat this event like a move. This means that I pack up my stuff, throw it in storage, and leave for Seattle having concluded my affairs in California. There is a lot to do in a very short period.

I woke up today feeling like a very different person for three main reasons: First, after three weeks of constant interruptions and sleep depravation, I was able to enjoy several hours of necessary REM sleep. Second, because I am the gatekeeper of my own pain medication, I am able to take it regularly and stay ahead of the pain. Third, I can choose my food, which means eating healthy options that fit nicely in my mouth without exacerbating the pain.

It hasn't even been 24 hours since my discharge, and I already feel like a new and fully rejuvenated man. My plan is to do nothing except recover until Monday, at which point I will resume class attendance and start preparing for our move.

This is going to be a busy time. I fought for a three-week break, but I cannot ask for more. In a short period, I must be mentally and physically ready for this trip. Right now, I'm not even close; but a lot of that will change as I continue to recover and my blood counts rise (presently my hemoglobin is only around 8, which is just above the need for a transfusion).

I would like to thank my readers, and I promise more updates once I leave for Seattle. But for now, I am going to take a sabbatical from blogging and focus efforts on studies, preparation, and spending time with my wife.

Nevertheless, I'll be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment