Thursday, February 11, 2016

Hanging in There

Today my counts are very low, and I'll be getting transfused with both platelets and red blood. I feel very weak and I'm having trouble articulating myself.

However, now is not the time to be weak. I have to get ready for my transplant, and there are a lot of moving parts, pun intended. Getting ready for the transplant is like getting for a move. I'll be gone for quite awhile and my lease expires shortly. I can't afford double rent so I'm going to pack up my apartment, throw everything in storage, clean it up, and try to find another tenant. Assignments and subleases are typically prohibited, and my lease is no exception. However, I can market the unit, find another tenant, and unless that tenant has bad credit, the landlord cannot decline.

Most people just pay the early termination fee and move out. That can work, and it's certainly easier. If you move out earlier, the landlord does not have an obligation to find a new tenant. Most people know this. What most people don't know is that if you move out early, the landlord has a duty to mitigate the damages. This means that if you help him or her and find a new tenant, the landlord can only refuse that tenant for a select few reasons (bad credit is the most common). They cannot legally refuse the tenant arbitrarily just to stick it to you. I have done this before and it works well. Again, this is different than an assignment because you are not assigning your existing contract to a new tenant. Instead, you are merely presenting a tenant to the landlord.

Having so much to do at such a weak point is frustrating. I'd love nothing more than to sit back and play video games or read a book, but cancer is a very busy and involved disease.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh!! Dealing with crap life stuff like finding a new tenant for your landlord is bad enough without being sick. I wish I could take this off your plate!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since you deleted the other comment, I just removed it for you.

    I wish life would stop for cancer. This is the second time I've moved while undergoing chemo.

    ReplyDelete