Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Is that a Buick or is that a service dog?

More on my mouth and confrontation:

As some may know, I'm in the San Francisco VA where I'm receiving treatment. Today my blood counts are very low, I have no immune system (white blood cell count is 0.3 and absolute neutrophil count is 0.0), but I did want to walk around and get some exercise. Not being able to go out, I decided to walk each floor of the VA and eventually stopped at this little PX to get a small package of Milano cookies. (For non-military folks, the PX is short for Post Exchange, which can range from a large Super Walmart-like facility or a little convenience store; this was more like the latter.)

While waiting in line this woman had a service dog. I don't know what breed it was, but think very large. Google photos have me believing that this was a Tibetan Mastiff. Seriously, this thing was gigantic, larger than most people, and crammed into a small shoppette. It was knocking down items, preventing people from accessing the store, and just really causing a hullabaloo. After knocking down an entire bargain-priced DVD rack, one of the workers finally asked the woman if he could help and suggested that she maybe take the dog outside. Unfortunately his English wasn't very good, and his request came off a bit more abrupt than he likely intended. At this point, the woman went off about how the dog was a service dog, stated that she had a right to bring him wherever she desired, blah, blah, blah.

Now, the VA doesn't mess around on the issue of service dogs. They are adamant that any dog claiming to be a service dog, must actually be for the support of a disability listed under the Americans with Disability Act (ADA). They prohibit Emotional Support Dogs and stick to the federal statutes per ADA (I know because I wanted to bring my dog in to the hospital and read the guidelines). So I know that if someone has a service dog in the VA, they probably really need it (or they are just hoping that nobody calls them out on it). However, I just couldn't resist.

"Excuse me, that's a huge dog! Did you pick this dog or were you given it. I usually just see Golden Retrievers as service dogs. I have a little Pom at home myself." She then happily responded that she selected the dog herself (knowing full well that it would become a service dog) and "never went anywhere without him."
"So let me get this straight. You basically picked the largest, Buick-sized beast that you could. And you did this knowing that you would travel everywhere, put people in an awkward situation, and force them to confront you on the issue. Then when they do confront you, you decide to treat them like crap and make them feel guilty. You know, having a disability isn't a blank check to be rude." Obviously, she didn't react well to my statement, but I think it needed to be said. Plus, what good is cancer if I don't get to use it. I may not be permanently disabled, but according to the ADA, I'm currently disabled.

Now I realize that those who are disabled need special accommodation, but c'mon! She couldn't pick a Golden Retriever or some other medium-sized dog like everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment