Saturday, February 13, 2016

One Less "Good Book" to Pack

I came to the VA with  several books in my bag, and I will be leaving with one less book on my way out: the "Good Book."

Towards the end of the evening, a nurse came rushing into my room to ask if I had an extra Bible. He explained that another patient could really use a copy after just receiving some hard facts about his condition. Without hesitation, I grabbed the only copy I had, which was a small New Testament with Psalms and Probers that I received while in Basic Training. (I thought that I would only be here four days, and my goals was just to read through the Psalms.) In the Bible, I wrote a bit of my testimony inside the front cover and said that I would love to stop by and chat. Less than one hour later, I received a knock on my door from the patient. He was ready to have that discussion ASAP.

Let's reflect on the the series of events that put us together:

1. I reluctantly received that copy of the Bible while in Basic Training over ten years ago. That Bible did very little for me while in the Army as I was doing my best to run from God. Nevertheless, I took it for reasons I never really understood.

2. Not only did I accept that Bible, but I kept it as well. I am the exact opposite of a pack rat. I throw out and dispense with everything that is not necessary, including emails and other objects that might be intangible and not taking up too much space. The fact that I kept that Bible through dozens of moves is a miracle in itself.

3. Instead of bringing a Bible, I was just going to grab a paper copy of the Psalms from the chapel within the hospital. I inadvertently packed that Bible at the last minute when I saw it lying on the floor after it fell from my bookshelf.

4. The gentleman with whom I spoke was flown in to this VA from out of state. He had shown up to his regional hospital at the exact time that they became overbooked. They fought not to fly him here, but at the last minute, all other options closed.

5. I was only supposed to be here for a short time. I viewed the extended stay as a curse, while God worked it for good.

6. I was extremely ill and in a lot of pain around the time that he wanted to talk. I have several lacerations in my mouth, which send a sharp pain throughout my face; I have severe migraines; and at the time, I was borderline feverish such that my entire body was shaking uncontrollably. When I heard that the gentleman wanted to speak with me, I prayed for respite that I might have a conversation with him. Thankfully, God answered my prayer and for nearly two hours, I was able to sit in a chair at that man's bedside and listen to him share his life's story.

Although he did not come to Christ right then and there, he recognized that he spent his life unfairly hating God. He reflected on the fact that a local church had come to his rescue several times during the course of his cancer and that his anger against God was severely misplaced. I plan to see him again, and I am praying for his salvation. He has about six months to live.

Sometimes I play life like I used play chess. Rather than looking for a combination of winning moves, I set up my pieces strategically in an effort to compromise on fortune. Although a true chess champion might note that lack of a definitive goal is a mistake, let's not split hairs and lose sight of the point: that while we go about our lives, making our faith known can provide opportunities to share our faith. If nobody knows that you are a Christian, nobody will come to you for such issues.

Also, while a series of trials can frustrate our goals, they can only further God's plans since nothing is outside His will. I do not know how this story will end, but it would never have begun if I were not in this situation. Moreover, even if this man tosses that Bible and later curses God, you never know the collateral effects. Someone else could easily pick up the Good Book, save it for years on a shelf somewhere, and just so happen to notice it in a time of need.


No comments:

Post a Comment