Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Showing Signs of GVHD Again

Despite having things controlled just a few days ago, my skin is already showing a recurrence of GVHD. Because I am maxed on my one immunosuppressant, Prednisone, the oncologists increased my dose of my other immunosuppressant, Tacrolimus. At this point, I am really in danger of deadly or nasty infections. I will go and see the team tomorrow morning, and I'm bracing myself for another admission. If the GVHD cannot be controlled by oral medications, I'll need the medication administered IV, which will have to be done inpatient. I am really hoping that this is just a minor flare up, and I can remain outpatient while I continue the fight.

It is amazing how much my mood improved once I was released. The mere thought of going back so soon is devastating. Nevertheless, I am only 57 days from the transplant and my situation, though rare, is not unique. Once I hit the 100 day mark, we can start discussing GVHD as chronic vice acute. For now, GVHD remains acute and there is a good chance that it can go away for good. There is also the chance that it will not be as deadly as last time.

Others have gone through worse and survived. I will do what I can to continue. Although physically exhausted and worn out, my faith remains strong.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your blogs and added information so we can pray effectively.

    ReplyDelete