Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Difference a Day Makes

It is amazing the difference a day can make. I tested negative for the cytomegalovirus and the symptoms from the BK virus have severely lessened. Rather than having continuous pain, I seem to only have two or three flare ups throughout the day, each lasting an hour tops. In fact, I was able to get four hours sleep straight and was amazed to awake for an entirely different sensation. I have never been so thankful to feel pain; meaning that I awoke for an entirely different type of pain, which came from my skin.

Between the remains of the BK virus, shedding all my skin, and the recurring joint pain, I'm still not feeling as though progress is being made. That being said, we are starting the immunosuppressant  taper again and I pushed to be discharged tomorrow. As long as things are controlled, I'd rather deal with pain management at home rather than at the hospital. I'll still have daily visits for at least a month as they monitor my taper.

Despite the fact that I was so consumed with the BK virus symptoms, the lead oncologist explained that my recent GVHD flare was quite deadly this time around. I'm praying that I handle this round of tapering better. If not, I get another brush with death, more immunosuppressants, and start conceding that I will have a much longer road to recovery and that recovery will never be 100 percent.

No comments:

Post a Comment