Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Joni Eareckson Tada

"The girl who became emotionally distraught, and wavered at each new set of circumstances is now grown up, a woman who has learned to rely on God's sovereignty" Joni Eareckson Tada

Joni Eareckson Tada became a quadriplegic at an early age. She then went on to become an angry, depressed, and suicidal young adult. Fortunately, God revealed to her that He is bigger than any earthly tribulation. Although still in pain, she has more joy in her life than most people I've known. Stories such as hers really serve as an inspiration and a reminder that we can dwell on the negative aspects of the present, or we can come to a knowledge that God is sovereign overall.

Today was the first day that I was actually scared. Prior to the treatment, I had thought of two outcomes: I either pass earlier than expected, or I beat cancer. With GVHD and a constant stream of steroids, I am now presented with a third option: To live in a very disabled state. Of course it is too early to tell; but if my GVHD cannot be controlled, I will need to remain on a heavy does of prednisone and tacrolimus. Those two steroids have harmful side effects which require dozens of other essential drugs to protect ones body. I have so many random, sporadic, and acute reactions; worse yet, who knows which drug is the culprit. The cure could easily become debilitating, and that terrified me.

After I arrived home today, I listened to some sermons from John Piper at desiringgod.org. For those who are suffering, depressed, or just need to be reminded of the joy one can find in God, Piper's Desiring God seminar is very inspirational. I do not know how this recovery will continue, but I do know that God is greater than all of this. Whatever His plan, I am learning to find my joy in Him. On the one hand, I do pray for relief and healing; on the other hand, I thank God regularly for my afflictions which draw me closer to Him. It is a paradox that I never understood until being diagnosed with cancer.


No comments:

Post a Comment