Thursday, June 23, 2016

Relief Denied

Well, my brief moment of joy at getting three hours of rest was short lived. The head doctor just told me that I will be at the hospital as an in-patient for a "long while." GVHD, the primary reason for hospitalization, is somewhat controlled. Granted, it needs to show signs of improvement, but we were expecting such improvement in a matter of days. The BK virus and pain will not keep me in the hospital, and I was really looking forward to being discharged by the end of the week. Instead, I'm here indefinitely and caught in a nice little Catch-22: They want to see me sleeping more so that I'm functioning well enough; but in order to sleep, I really need to get out of the hospital. 

This really crushed my spirits today. Honestly, I would rather be at home rolling on the floor without any pain medications than to be stuck in the hospital for even one more day. The interruptions are constant and who your nurse is can either make things tolerable or it can be ruinous.

Finally, I need to get off this high dose of Prednisone. I have been reading about the damaging side effects of just 20 mg per day. I'm on 200 mg and it's killing me. Also, refer to the above Catch-22; Prednisone is the main culprit of my insomnia if the BK virus weren't an issue.

2 comments: