Monday, April 4, 2016

Last Week before the Transplant--I hope.

I apologize for not providing enough updates and responding intermittently to individuals. I'm aware of many people waiting on a response, and I really appreciate all those who continue to keep in touch.
Also, I rarely check social media in between hospital visits; when I do, it is solely for the purpose of providing updates or tending to my own page. I won't make excuses, but I will offer an explanation.

Because of my upcoming transplant, life is extremely busy. My mornings and days are often spent at the VA or taking care of some issue and evenings are spent catching up on school work and getting ready for finals. It is imperative that I enter the hospital somewhat ready for my exams. Cancer treatment is not exactly conducive to studying. Even if there is sufficient downtime, chemo brain (a real thing that I did not invent) and other side effects result in little or no quality time for studying.

I was hoping to see Mount Rainier or the Skagit Tulip Festival with my wife prior to treatment, but the VA will not allow me to migrate more than a 30-minute radius from the facility. I could risk them not finding out, but it is very common for me to get a call requesting that I check in for unscheduled medical tests. Let this be a lesson to those clamoring for a national solution to their individual health problems: If you want the government to fix it, be prepared to surrender control and personhood; you will have little say in your care and anything affecting that care, which extends to many other activities--like smelling the flowers, keeping your dog, and continuing with work. Nevertheless, I am very grateful to have VA coverage and my doctors appear extremely competent.

Perhaps it is best that I am not allowed to sightsee too much. Even if I had the time, it might not be beneficial for someone with a compromised immune system. Presently, I am avoiding all crowded places. I want to kick this cold ASAP and move on with this transplant as scheduled. Time is not on my side, and I risk losing my donor if there are further delays. This Thursday I will confirm whether or not I must push back my transplant because of a pesky cold.

2 comments:

  1. Nathan, Sending you Light, Love & Peace (of mind hopefully) on this 6th day of April. That mountain and those flowers will be there for you when this is over. Leo will be there and all those who love you. Sending healing thoughts your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, your pup? Sorry Nate :(
    Praying you kick this cold.

    ReplyDelete