Monday, April 11, 2016

For the Record my Birthday is June 11

I just realized that because of the delay, my transplant will occur on April 20. It is quite common for transplant survivors to use the date of their procedure as a new birthday. In this case, I must admit that I am a bit ambivalent about following the custom, considering Adolf Hitler's birthday was also April 20. It just seems a bit unsettling that someone who is half Jewish by ethnicity now shares a very intimate day with one of the most reviled enemies of the Jews. If I do choose to celebrate April 20, I'll remember that my father-in-law, whom I love and respect, also shares the same birthday.

On another note, I wonder how long it will take for the name Adolf to again become mainstream in Germany or Austria. If you Google the name, you can see a sharp drop in usage after the 40s. Many of those unfortunate enough to have been named Adolf now go by Dolf.

2 comments:

  1. Phew, crisis averted. In good news, Grace's birthday is June 11, and that day changed my life forever and ever. I'd stick with that one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll never forget Grace's birthday now! She's in good company with myself and Joe Montana. Also, Jurassic Park I came out that day; definitely the best one of the series. For a more extensive list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June_11

      Delete