Sunday, March 20, 2016

Me vs. the VA

During small talk with a nurse, I revealed that I had my dog with me at the hotel room. I didn't think this was a problem because I called the hotel and asked for permission prior to coming. That nurse then decided to tell on me, and I got a call today asking if I would give my dog up. Had I not fought back, my dog would now be on his way to a shelter somewhere.

Ever since I learned that I would be coming to Seattle, I was largely kept in the dark on everything. Moreover, the little bit of information that I was given has turned out to be incorrect. Because the VA was not responding to my questions, I started coordinating with the source. That means that with regards to the hotel, I called the hotel directly and asked about my pet. I was told by two separate employees that I could bring my pet for the duration of my stay.

I'm getting sick and tired of being in an environment where people are always out to get one another and tattling about rule violations. I know exactly who tattled on me, and I've had it with these passive aggressive employees who pretend to care and ask questions only to use that information against you later. There are so many rules, that it's easy to be in violation because those who are supposed to inform you do not, and the rule are infinite and petty. One of the fundamental legal principles concerns notice requirements and the right of each individual to be informed of a standard prior to being held to that standard. Yet, somehow, the government is always immune to rules that they create.

The employee initially called me and said that I was in violation of the VA's contract with the hotel by bringing my pet. However, I called the hotel and asked about the pet policy with regards to the VA. When I told this to the VA employee, she changed her story and said that the real reason I cannot have the pet is because my immune system will be compromised. Although this is true, the initial statement was a lie; she admitted to not calling the hotel.

I am tired of fighting for the stupidest things: fighting to keep food in a fridge, fighting to get pain medication for severe nerve damage, fighting with the VA to stay enrolled in school (that is between me and Berkeley, the VA should have no say in that matter), and fighting to keep my dog from going to some shelter. The lesson is that I cannot trust anyone here; they are concerned about minor policy violations more than they are concerned about their patients. If they truly cared about my health and safety, they would not have put a cancer patient next to drug addicts, alcoholics, and people with severe mental problems. It's very unsafe where I am, and I've already been physically threatened.

It's me versus the VA. I will not speak to them about my personal life; I will constantly be on guard with each and every staff member; I will answer yes and no with nothing more, treating each conversation like an interrogation. I just want to get this transplant over with and leave this place.

I am a number that is being pushed through a very broken system.

2 comments:

  1. I am appalled that you are going through this. It is unacceptable and does not promote healing. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so heartbreaking. I just want you in my hospital so I can break knees of anyone who tries to pull this type of crap on you. Shame on those nasty employees.

    ReplyDelete