Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Experiencing the Grind

It has been awhile since my last update, and I am pleased to say that things are progressing, albeit slowly. Nevertheless, there is still a long ways to go and things could change instantly.

The hardest part about life now is the schedule. I wake up at 6:30 am, I'm at the hospital between 7 and 8, I finish the morning appointment between 1 and 2, I get 4-5 hours of free time, and I'm back in the evening for more medication that runs until 10 or 11 pm. Also, several times per week there is an afternoon appointment that sucks up my free time. With my current state, I'm finding it very difficult to keep up and not get burned out.

Through this schedule, I also need to find time to study for one remaining exam and play catchup on life. If I continue to progress towards recovery, I should see my things lighten a bit in September, and I may get some days off by October or November. Since this whole ordeal began in March, I have had only a handful of days off from the hospital.

Also, I have to squeeze an hour of exercise into my day or I get extremely weak because of the steroids. The doctors are very concerned about the amount of muscle atrophy that I have experienced, especially in my legs and chest. It will take several months after I am fully off the steroids before I am able to physically recover and start making some gains again.

In short, I am very burned out and frustrated; yet I have to remember that compared to a month ago, life has improved. It is hard not knowing whether things will continue to improve or what will become of the future, but I'm just going to do the best I can and trust in God for the remainder.

5 comments:

  1. Nathan, I want you to know you are in the prayers & meditations of many people, some of whom you know and others you have never met. May God always be a source of strength and Light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I truly believe that you are genuine in your thoughts and prayers. If you have any questions about my treatment or what I'm going through, please feel free to email specifics. Just because I don't broadcast certain things, does not mean that I am secretive. I try to be as open about the treatment as possible.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the update. You're the toughest man I know! My church will keep praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean! You're pretty tough yourself; I still remember those days past. I might have turned out to be a mama's boy if it weren't for you and Patty.

      Delete
  3. Hang in there guy. Glad to hear of the improvement, however small. Best wishes and prayers!

    -Roger (EBCB)

    ReplyDelete